- extended severe drought and unusually high temperatures
- episodic regional dust storms and routine localized wind erosion
- agricultural failure, including both cropland and livestock operations
- the collapse of the rural economy, affecting farmers, rural businesses, and local governments
- an aggressive reform movement by the federal government
- migration from rural to urban areas and out of the region
This is like in the Roy animal kingdom where R prey might overeat V natural vegetation beyond its ability to maintain normal growth, this results in collapse of the Biv vegetation and chaotic collapse of the R animals as well as the Roy food chain depending on them. In poor economies a similar process occurs, the Biv capitalistic system is like vegetation in areas with few resources. Roy animals can easily overeat them creating a dustbowl or grasslands instead of a forest. The Biv businesses become attacked by Roy criminals or bad debts so they lose money and die out like the Biv forest leaving a grassland of small and poor businesses or none at all in an economic dustbowl.